Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week Course
INTERNATIONAL GOLD STANDARD MINDFULNESS TRAINING Right here in North Canterbury!
What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) ?
RESEARCHED MBSR is the evidence based “gold standard” of mindfulness courses. It has been taught around the world for over 40 years and extensively researched. The MBSR course was developed by Professor Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. It is at the cutting edge of integrative and preventative medicine.
INTENSIVE and COMPREHENSIVE MINDFULNESS TRAINING That involves a whole 8 weeks of classes, a day of mindfulness and daily mindfulness practices at home/ in your daily life.
BENEFITS OF BOTH SCIENCE AND ANCIENT WISDOM It combines modern day science, physiology and psychology with ancient wisdom practices.
NOT RELIGIOUS MBSR is a secular course (requiring no beliefs/ non religious) combining ancient wisdom practices and cutting edge science.
EXPERIENCED FACILITATION Facilitated by an experienced mental health professional and Registered MBSR teacher.
PERSONALISED SUPPORT The eight weeks include all the support you need to make the practices suit you, your life and your body/ nervous system. You benefit from the experience of 1000s of hours of mindfulness practice and training that Kate has done and continues to do.
WHO IS IT FOR?
The course is for anyone who wants to reduce work, family or health-related stress and to bring a greater sense of balance and meaning to their lives and also to manage challenges more skillfully.
It is also for those who want to make their life more mindful, conscious and compassionate.
The course is for adults and is of benefit for those totally new to mindfulness as well as those with a current practice.
MBSR is the mindfulness course to do as CPD/ CME for health professionals and teachers.
There are some situations when it is NOT the best time to do an MBSR course.
These may include:
- A highly stressful time in your life or very close to a loss or major stress event.
- If you are unable to make the time and space to do the course fully and the practice it involves as you have other commitments or will miss classes.
- You have just become abstinent from alcohol and/ or other drugs. The course is a great compliment to addiction recovery but a period of at least 6 -12 months is recommended of abstinence.
- If you are suffering from acute debilitating mental health issues / trauma. It may be best to be working with a mental health worker/ counsellor initially, before doing the course, so you feel able to focus fully and get the most from it. Best contact is your G.P. and also via txt/ call 1737. If you are working with a counselor it is important that we all connect, so you get the most from the experience.
The intake process is a time where we can explore whether this is the best time and course for you and to best meet your needs. This is done by completing pre course reflections and talking with me on the phone.
HOW WILL IT HELP ME?
BASED IN RESEARCH MBSR has been extensively researched over the years, this course in Rangiora is the same as the original researched one and is taught by a specialist trained MBSR teacher. These are some of the documented benefits of doing an MBSR course.
BRAIN CHANGES THROUGH NEUROPLASTICITY The 8 weeks allows for the daily practices to start making actual changes to the brain via neuroplasticity. It leads to measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress as well as improving the immune response in eight weeks.
MBSR they even made a film about it!
Shannon Harvey’s Internationally acclaimed documentary MY YEAR OF LIVING MINDFULLY
WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE?
Your investment in this course will provide you with the following:
- 27 hours of mindfulness teaching by a trained MBSR teacher, to support you own home practice.
- a whole day of mindfulness/ retreat day
- Recordings of mindfulness practices (via app) and course book for you to keep for your ongoing meditation practice and reading.
- Email and phone support as required.
SMALL GROUP SIZE The group is limited to 12 places only so it doesn’t feel too big.
RELAXED COUNTRY SETTING The course is held at a beautiful peaceful venue surrounded by a garden out of the city, in Rangiora. It is a much loved venue by partcipants and often becomes like a second home.
ONGOING SUPPORT The course is just the beginning…..you will have access to ongoing 1×1, follow up retreats, courses and workshops as well a weekly group practice support and a whole community of locals practicing mindfulness in North Canterbury.
Information on the research and science of mindfulness
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The course is run only twice a year in Rangiora and has done for 9 years, enabling many people access to this life changing work, without having to travel to the city.
It costs $590.00 and you can pay this off in installments before the course commences. (there will be an increase in 2023).
Although this seem a lot it actually does not cover all the course costs and delivery. This is offered with generosity to our community at this rate so it can be affordable.
If you are in financial hardship and really committed to doing the course but unable to access other forms of funding then there are some limited assistance funds available (that are fund raised) These will be on a first come served basis for each course.
If you are an ACC sensitive claims client/ provider and want to refer a client for MBSR please go here for more information
What do people say about MBSR in Rangiora who have done it?
“The most beneficial 8 weeks of my life! The clarity gained from practicing mindfulness among this amazing group of like minded people has been amazing. The course has set up a chain reaction of lifestyle changes that I doubt would have never happened in the same way if at all. Thank you Kate for your superb leadership, compassion and knowledge of mindfulness practice”Sue MBSR 2018
Check out more testimonials
Are you a health professional or teacher?
MBSR is THE mindfulness training for those in helping professions, as it is evidence based and taught by a trained teacher; thus meeting criteria for CPD/CME.
It assists with our capacity for listening, empathy, compassion and genuine curiosity. It can also help us see into our own patterns that get in the way of being truly helpful. MBSR is however not a professional training in using/ teaching mindfulness with clients or others. The benefits to others come from the clinicians own mindfulness training and embodied practice.
Find out more about mindfulness and self compassion workshops and support for health/ caring/ teaching professionals here
The registration process is all part of the MBSR course and needs to be completed well before the course starts. MBSR is not always what we need, depending on what is going on for you. If you are not sure we can talk briefly on the phone and if further exploration is required then some 1×1 sessions may be suggested to start off with.
Please do not leave this to the last minute, even if there is a place available your registration needs to be in 2 weeks before the course start minimum to be processed in time and for you to have your pre course phone call/ zoom call.
- Read the MBSR INFO SHEET and all the information on this page before applying.
- Check the dates and make sure you can attend all sessions, this is required for you to get a place on this course.
- Once you are sure this is the right course and tight time for you then complete the regisitration consent form and pre course refelctions below.
- Email me to ask any question or book in some time to discuss further on the phone.
- Complete the 2 registration documents below
and send back to me via email